Sunday, November 20, 2016

July 27, 2012 - Free Running

Apparently Rory is lacking in running time since the brat and the other horse don't play with him.  Today he just couldn't contain himself on the longeline and bucked and bounced and stopped facing me and so on.  I fiddled with the saddle - no change.  Stripped the saddle - bigger bounces.  So I thought that since I couldn't ride him the way he was acting I'd just turn him loose and let him do whatever he wanted.  

And he ran!  Full tilt, and then faster than that!  Bouncing stops into the corners, then spinning and bolting out again.  He ran into the corner with the sand pile, and when he turned around to run out again he completely missed the ground with his front feet and did a faceplant (sand in the noseband and browband, plus green weed stains on his blaze).  

I had TOLD him not to fall down (the chiro came on Friday last week).  He scrambled up and trotted away sound, then resumed the galloping around with no apparent ill effects.  

Once he settled down I did a little free longe, then a quick longe on the line again to remind him that he does have to listen to me, and then he was still huffing and puffing and very hot, so I saddled up again and worked him at the walk to cool him out.  He was a very tired boy when we were finished.  


If I may quote for a moment... "My eyes just about popped out of my head" when I saw this one! See how high his hooves are compared to the dead weeds?  He's actually running on the sand which is 3-4" lower than the weeds!!!  "He trots the air... the earth sings as he touches it."

Peeking at the mini, but not ready to stop yet...


It doesn't even look like he's putting any effort into this...

Or this - but look at the lean he's got going...

Finally settling down

I think I will be adding a free run session into his routine a couple of times a week.  I might even see if brat is willing to join him.

No comments:

Post a Comment