Sunday, November 20, 2016

June 11, 2012 - Not quite Harry Houdini

Every morning I've been putting brat and Rory into the temporary grass paddock for a couple of hours.  I put Totyo with him the other day because I was riding brat.  Afterwards I took brat out and went to put Rory and Totyo back into their regular paddock.  Totyo got to me first, so I put the halter on and took him out.  We got about 30' along the alley to their paddock gate when Rory started whinnying.  I got Totyo into his field and turned to close the gate before taking off the halter and there's Rory cantering up the alley towards us!  I held the gate open and he came right in, turned around, neatly stopped right beside Totyo, and asked me for his carrot.  :lol:  My friend reminded me that he did jump over his mum right after he was born.  Before she'd gotten up.


Today I put Rory and brat out and thought it would be a good chance to swap their older buddy for another horse as we had planned to do.  This way the new boy would only have to deal with one new horse at a time.  Well, Rory didn't like me taking his older buddy away, and started whinnying and trotting up and down the fence.  Totyo was doing the same in their paddock.  Rory seemed okay, so I went and got the other horse.  This is what I found when I got back:


See brat on the left behind the tape?  That's where Rory was supposed to be, but nooo - he'd jumped out and started eating grass since he wasn't sure what to do next.  I quickly stuffed him back with brat and took the new boy up to the paddock.  Rory jumped out again - but only 3/4s of the way (left one leg behind) breaking the "gate" tape before cantering up to us.  This time I left him in his usual paddock with the new horse and Totyo.  No more grass field today!

Rory and Totyo prceeded to have fun tearing around their paddock...



...while the new horse ate the hay...


... an sometimes ran with them too.


Here's hoping I just have a dressage horse who likes to jump... 

No comments:

Post a Comment